Monday 16 March 2009

Top Ten: Books

I'm a fan of lists. If lists had a concert, I'd be first in the queue to get tickets. Okay, so I may have overdone the metaphor for my love of lists. But it's true. I have hundreds of them. My 'what to buy just incase I win a million pounds' list. Or the 'stuff I should do today but am putting off until tomorrow' list. And my favourite, which is stuck to my notice board yellowing and slightly frayed around the edges, the 'things I must do before I die' list. I fear I've said the word 'list' too much here, so much so it has started to lose all meaning. What's a list again?

Anyways, to quench my thirst for writing random lists, I thought I would introduce a Top Ten to my blog. I envisioned a variety of the culturally specific kind; books, songs, films, places to go...etc...and my lovely readers could then debate or berate my choices. Sounds like a plan, doesn't it?

I am aware that things could turn ugly. I could be vilified. Readers could turn away in disgust at the thought that I actually enjoyed the movie 'Twilight.' I'm kidding here. It was awful. But that's another story. I don't want the Top Ten series to come between our budding blogosphere relationships. I was hoping it could bring us together. Liven debates. Share minds. Obviously, I'm seeing my Top Ten on a par with world peace.

The start of the series is my Top Ten Books. Now this was a toughie. I have read a lot of books. I mean, we all know about my escapades with the Mills and Boon. But seriously now, this list was hard to write! I just couldn't narrow it down. Well, that's a lie. I could. I did. I'm just scared to print it. My literary tastes will forever be known as the ten books I highlight here. Alas, it's too late. I cannot change my mind. Deep breath, here goes:

1.
The Colour Purple by Alice Walker
2. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
3. Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell
4. Roots by Alex Haley
5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
6. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
7. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
9. Exodus by Julie Bertagna
10. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

So reader, what do you think?

14 comments:

  1. I think that's quite an eclectic list. I'm with you on 2,3,6 and 8. Such a range, though. Good to see Orwell on there, he is, after all, one of the greatest writers ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed a list of big ones although there are a few I have to have a look at. I agree definately with 1,3,4,5 and 8.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever read anything by Isaac Asimov?

    a.w.e.s.o.m.e!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After #6, i'm clueless because I haven't read 7-10, but the list is great. Pleas echeck out lists at my site:
    www.soulpoetjournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll definately check out Isaac Asimov. I'm always looking for something different to read. And Lesli, you so should read 7-10. 7 and 9 were aimed at teenagers so they make for a quick, simple reading but no less enjoyable. And 8 and 10 are just heartbreaking. Ten especially. I do believe 10 is coming out as a movie this year, so read it before the film ruins it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have received an award. For your talent, knowledge... overall :-)

    Have a look on my blog - The untamed thoughts on... Autism to find out more

    ReplyDelete
  7. Libertine had your link posted and I thought I'd check your blog out...and voila...a great list of books!

    2,3,5,& 8 are all favorites of mine.

    Isaac Asimov is a great author...although its been a long while since I sat with one of his novels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lists?
    What are your favourite lists?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think lists are really nice... :) I ought to do one myself, just as soon as I come up with something good to list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is ALWAYS something good to list! Go crazy- write one titled 'things i want to achieve in life' even listing the impossible, the implausible. Although i should state here that NOTHING is impossible. There is always a way.

    This is the power of lists. You can write your hopes and dreams, desires and wishes. Powerful tool that is. Powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the lovely bones was so good! very creepy but yes its on my top 10 too

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with several of those...good list. Although I am a die-hard Kurt Vonnegut fan and I must say it saddened me he didn't make it (and Maya Angelou too). Great blog, fun to read, I enjoyed it!

    http://mypersonalcafe.blogspot.com/

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane Eyre....The Colour Purple....
    You have indisputable good taste.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jane Eyre has to be my favourite book EVER- so I think you have GREAT literacy taste!
    www.thegirlwiththenotepad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Go on. It's free...