Sunday 5 April 2009

There's no business like show business...

So. I saw my play. Yep, you read that right. My very own play. That I wrote and everything. You wouldn't think I could manage to write a whole play considering the way I'm writing at the moment. Short sentences. Incomprehension. But this I can put down to the shock of seeing my words performed before my very eyes!

It was a strange experience. I wasn't sure what to expect. It was my first play and its first production. I sat there as the lights dimmed above the audience and the song 'there's no business like show business' started playing. (You see what I did with the title of this post. I'm so clever.)

My heart flipped, an erratic beat in my chest. Blood roared in my ears. I swallowed down my stomach that had somehow found its way into my throat. My hands gripped the paper programme so tightly that the creases in my fingers turned white. I was suddenly nervous. Why? I wasn't the one acting. I was never very good at that type of thing. I'm more the drama queen and we drama queens have the tendency to over-act.

The actors appeared and a hush fell around me. People were actually there to watch my play. Then it hit me. I had written a comedy. What if no one laughed? Can you imagine it? Lines that you had struggled over, re-written, deleted and then re-re-written and no one even laughs. My palms began to sweat. I squirmed in my seat. Breath held, I watched as the actors arrived on stage and the first lines were uttered. Two more lines passed and there was silence. Oh dear. Where did it all go wrong?

I slumped into my seat, felt the shame grow like fungus around me. More lines passed. Three minutes felt like an hour and I wanted to crawl under the row of seats and disappear out the door. Then it happened. It sounded like angels singing and harps playing. No, wait, I can't in all honesty type that without laughing. It didn't sound that cheesy. It sounded like relief. And you know what relief sounds like? Laughter. That's what.

They laughed. The audience laughed. After that I relaxed. I went with the flow. I smiled and watched the actors make the parts their own, watched them faff up their lines and recover with perfect professionalism.

As the lights brightened and my family congratulated me and I heard about the good review I had received from the previous week, I felt kind of proud. And now I'm like a little proud bunny. (I thought the bunny would be appropriate considering it's Easter. Again, I'm so clever.)

I never imagined I would feel this way. As well as putting an overdue smile on my face, the play has given me a bit of a morale boost. Maybe I can do this writing thing after all. It wouldn't hurt to try would it? And you know what else? All of a sudden I'm feeling inspired.

Inspiration. I'll take that from anywhere.

10 comments:

  1. Well done and congratulations Lou. What an amazing achievement and I can only begin to imagine how you felt. I hope the new found inspiration turns into the next great achievement for you, and the next, and the next...

    Good luck

    BJR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I wish I could write a play. I love writing, but writing in that sense... never been my thing. I was in a student film last month and the footage was just finished today- I had the same aprehension; What if I sucked? It was my first time acting and I'd never seen myself on screen. But it didn't turn out bad :) you should actually check it out, it's on my blog.

    ANYWAYS enough rambling. Congrats again, darlin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Lou! Applause can be a great inspiration. Write more and more, as you do it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Lou...I agree with Libertine, you write well and have an interesting voice that lends well to the written word....Keep on going...Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I forgot...Thank you for following...And your header works perfectly with your blog title....Penny, again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, Lou. Congratulations. Comedy is difficult, be very proud. And btw, short sentences are good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments of congratulations guys! I feel slightly embarrassed that i even told you all about it but its done now!

    Kye: I never envisioned i would EVER write a play but i did. So if i can do it, so can you! Give it a go. Oh and i'm just gonna check out your acting job on your blog! I'll let you know what i thought.

    Penny: I'm really enjoying your blog too, a pleasure to follow. Btw, the header on this blog is actually a picture i took! I'm a little obsessed with clouds. Strange, i know! hehe...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, congratulations! I'd love to write a play or a novel and I do have a few ideas... Yet to actually finish (read: start) it, that is the dilemma! Anyway, congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!! What a wonderful thing to happen to you.

    ReplyDelete

Go on. It's free...